It’s October, which means that the NHL season is starting up! Below are selected resources about hockey and its social implications on Scholars Portal services. For more resources, visit the Books, Journals, Dataverse, or GeoPortal platforms.
- Lords of the rinks: the emergence of the National Hockey League, 1875-1936
- Coast to coast: hockey in Canada to the Second World War
- Breaking the ice: the Black experience in professional hockey
- Refereeing identity: the cultural work of Canadian hockey novels
- Hockey, PQ : Canada’s game in Quebec’s popular culture
- Stickhandling through the margins: First Nations hockey in Canada
- Canadian hockey literature: a thematic study
- Canada’s game: hockey and identity
- Le hockey vu du divan
- Hockey and philosophy
- Athlete Aggression on the Rink and off the Ice : Athlete Violence and Aggression in Hockey and Interpersonal Relationships
- Examining the Bertuzzi-Moore NHL ice hockey incident: Crossing the line between sanctioned and unsanctioned violence in sport
- “IT’S PART OF THE GAME” : Physicality and the Production of Gender in Women’s Hockey
- Gender in ice hockey: women in a male territory
- “Goodbye to the Gangstas”: The NBA Dress Code, Ray Emery, and the Policing of Blackness in Basketball and Hockey
- Kid Crosby or Golden Boy: Sidney Crosby, Canadian national identity, and the policing of hockey masculinity
- “Get the Puck Outta Here!” : Media Transnationalism and Canadian Identity
- Public Broadcasting, Sport, and Cultural Citizenship : The Future of Sport on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation?
- Canada’s ‘national’ sport
- Skating to Armageddon: Canada, Hockey and the First World War
- Checking In: An Analysis of the (Lack of) Body Checking in Women’s Ice Hockey
- Injury Rates, Risk Factors, and Mechanisms of Injury in Minor Hockey
- “I Went to a Fight the Other Night and a Hockey Game Broke Out”: Is Professional Hockey Fighting Calculated or Impulsive?
- The effect of visors on head and facial injury in National Hockey League players
Angus Reid Hockey Night in Canada Poll, 2014
This survey examines Canadian’s opinion of the new Hockey Night in Canada format and on the role of hockey in Canadian society and culture.